Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 April 2018

The Blues Collection - Memphis Slim


My recording system for The Blues Collection has once again reaped dividends.
I got a text from Mrs CC who was out with her mum quoting some numbers and asking me if I had them.
A couple of texts and a phone call letter I was able to confirm that I  didn't have 3 of the 5 or 6 that she had stumbled upon and they were duly purchased.
One (number 13) was Beer Drinkin' Woman by Memphis Slim.
Not the name that the pianist was born with , that would have been John Len Chatman although his compositions are listed as Peter Chatman which was his father's name.
Born in Memphis in 1915 his career spanned around half a century before dying in Paris in 1988 aged 72.
The first song Late Afternoon Blues was recorded in New York in January 1961 with the album's title track being recorded in London in 1960.
As you will hear he enjoyed spinning a story with a piano accompaniment..

I'm sure his name features in a Bob Dylan lyric but I could well be wrong there.

Memphis Slim - Late Afternoon Blues

Memphis Slim - Beer Drinkin' Woman

2 comments:

  1. I would say you've got a keeper there, CC, and I'm not referring to the excellent Memphis Slim. I didn't ask her to do it, but last year my wife called me from Munich as she thumbed through records at a shop near her hotel. When I said "hello" all she said back was, "There's a bunch of Colourfield here." I had a similar situation more than a decade ago when I was in the office and the Mrs. called from a yard sale in our neighborhood. She proceeded to tell me every album in the box. My co-workers got a kick out of hearing me ask, "Does it have a real zipper on the front?" Let's raise a glass to our loves tonight! No, not the albums. You know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two top tracks there. As you say the spoken louche intro on Beer Drinkin'Woman is great and my fave - which I've nabbed (a coupla quid to charity for my cheek) and I'll also be seeking out this album. Can't help with the Dylan song I'm afraid - surely you can't mean Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again? Nope, course not.

    ReplyDelete