Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 November 2017

The Horse Whisperer


I have never seen Robert Redford's 1998 film The Horse Whisperer nor have I any desire so to do.
Therefore I was presently surprised at the quality of the Original Soundtrack brought home from a charity shop excursion by Mrs CC.
Executively produced by Mr Redford himself it could have been lifted straight from the Americana section in the muso room given that it features the likes of Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch . Hell there is even the rarity of a good post 1995 song by Dwight Yoakam!
The only artists on it who don't grace the shelves are Don  WalserDon Edwards and George Strait. 9 out of 12 ain't bad.

A pleasant surprise

The Flatlanders - South Wind of Summer

Iris DeMent -Whispering Pines

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good soundtrack - the usual suspects with the added bonus of Don Walser - maestro of yodelling! AND George Strait - known in many homes of Scotland-based country fans as Dod The God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not seen the film either but I can imagine these songs would have been perfect for it - Always adds to the enjoyment of a film if they get the song choices just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the way you do -- I have no desire to see the film, but I love the soundtrack (which I've had since it first came out). I was on a huge Lucinda Williams kick at the time, and the version of "Still I Long for Your Kiss" on Horse Whisperer is different from the one on "Car Wheels".

    Marc

    ReplyDelete