Search This Blog

Sunday 9 July 2017

Portrait of a Legend


Last week for 50p in my local charity shop I picked up Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend 1951-1964.
Thirty wonderful tracks, fantastic sound quality and sleeve notes from the great Pete Guralnick.

I'm sure we all agree that when it comes to music the term legend is very over used. However I doubt that anyone will disagree that in this instance it is fully justified.

Just listen to this

Sam Cooke -Touch the Hem of His Garment

Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come

6 comments:

  1. Unless I play another Soul Stirrers song I'm very very unlikely to hear a better song today than Touch The Hem Of His Garment. Absolutely bloody brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 50P? You should've insisted that they take a couple of quid for it, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a couple of quid I got a Charlie Rich vinyl album thrown in!

      Delete
  3. Just right for the Sunday before the return to pit boots and porridge

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could sing like anyone ever, it would be Sam Cooke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will never spend 50p so wisely. There are some pretty mediocre Cooke comps out there, but this isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete