Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Doing a Rod


I've told this story before.
A magnificent debut album - Exile on Coldharbour Lane - my copy being a promotional one purchased at Vinyl Exchange, Oldham St, Manchester.
A phenomenal  concert at King Tuts including Dr D Wayne Love marrying two members of the audience on stage.
Then  their song Woke Up This Morning was selected as the theme song for The Sopranos.
Thereafter in my opinion they became complacent and rested on their laurels - certainly on the La Peste album and when I saw them at Glasgow's Carling Academy.
Round these parts it is known as doing a Rod

Here's from when they were good. Some splendid Country electronica

Alabama 3 - U Don't Dans 2 Tekno Anymore

Alabama 3 - The Old Purple Tin (9% of Pure Heaven)

4 comments:

  1. Really good album. I'd take or leave the rest of their stuff though.
    Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go along with that. There were some good tunes that followed, but the consistency of this album was never matched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing a Rod eh? I had to seek clarification recently on the Rod situation from our friend at Dubious Towers but now I understand.

    Loved that Sopranos theme song so a shame that it sounds as if it was all downhill after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing a Rod... I like that.
    Also love U Don't Dans 2 Tekno Anymore, always makes me smile. Nice choice CC

    ReplyDelete