Search This Blog

Friday 17 March 2017

The Trinity Sessions


I had a compilation CD on in the car  the other day when Cowboy Junkies and their version of the Hank William's classic I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry popped up.
It reminded me that I am one of the few bloggers out there who has yet to extol the virtues of The Trinity Sessions. So here goes,
Their second album  with the band recording onto a single microphone in Toronto's Church of the Holy Trinity it is now rightly regarded as a bona fide classic.
So this Friday night sit down with the tipple of your choice and for just over 10 minutes let the vocals of Margo Timmins and the sparse musical accompaniment of the band just wash over you.

Cowboy Junkies -I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Cowboy Junkies - Walkin' After Midnight

6 comments:

  1. Love their version of Sweet Jane on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a band I know too much about....I can understand why folk rave about them but not too sure if I could take them in anything more than small doses

    ReplyDelete
  3. JC wrong for once. Sorry sir, huge respect, love your blog. The only way to enjoy them is in extended indulgence. But what I really want to ask is not why do you say this JC, but is it possible that this CD was in a Charity Shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all the stuff featured are charity shop acquisitions
      Started out that way and they still feature heavily but I also post other stuff I think worthy of sharing

      Delete
  4. I bought this album shortly after it came out, there was hype about it at the time and I'd've heard them on Peel (no doubt he extolled 'em) but clearly I was being led by the nose cos when it came down to it they were far too glacial even for me - I like other slowcore bands - Galaxie 500, Low etc. Maybe I should fish Trinity Sessions out again 30 years later and see if it tallies with my more sedantry lifestyle these days. After playing your 2 links though I think I already know the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When this one came out, I liked it. Like. This was an absolute grower for me but it happened at a snail's pace. Not even years. More like decades. I was quite surprised when you folks on the other side of the world were extolling its virtues on the blogs. Never occurred to me it had such a following. Not too long ago Drew wrote about this one getting a fancy vinyl reissue. I saw it a shop about a month ago. The price was $57.99. That is not a misprint. I'll stick with my 25-year-old CD.

    ReplyDelete