Search This Blog

Saturday 29 August 2015

Saturday Lucky Dip



Last week music inspired by The Byrds. This week music inspired by The Band. So not so totally random then.
These songs are taken from Across the Great Divide -an Uncut compilation from April 2005.

First up is Danko/ Manuel a Jason Isbell song - a tribute song "for and about a couple members of The Band who are no longer with us." and one which features on the Drive-By Truckers 2004 album The Dirty South.
Jason explains further When I started writing this one, I wanted to capture some of Levon Helm's feelings about the deaths (and lives) of Richard Manuel and Rick Danko. The longer I worked on the song, the more impossible that became. I felt like the best I could do was to explain my own attitude toward being a working and traveling musician.

The DBT's are followed by Little Feat with a terrific live version of The Band's Rag Mama Rag taken from Little Feat Live at the Rams Head,
Finally we have The Band themselves with the mighty King Harvest (Has Surely Come).

So no tenuousconnections this week
More random nonsense next Saturday

Drive- By Truckers - Danko/Manuel

Little Feat - Rag Mama Rag

The Band - King Harvest (Has Surely Come)

1 comment:

  1. I saw the post-Robertson Band at one of their last UK shows in Cambridge in 1996. As I reached the venue, a short, grey bearded man wearing a baseball cap and a larger, overweight man in dungarees stood in the doorway welcoming everyone as they entered. It took me a moment to realise that it was Levon and Rick. It was a very uneven show. Rick was clearly struggling with his health, which made 'It Makes No Difference' all the more poignant. There was only a couple of hundred people in a venue that holds about a thousand. Tragic really, but I'm very glad that I got to see them.

    ReplyDelete