Search This Blog

Thursday 11 September 2014

Big in Montrose?


The Montrose Avenue do not come from the town of Montrose situated on the East Cost of Scotland approximately halfway between Aberdeen and Dundee.
Nor do they have anything to do with the godawful American hard rock band Montrose who shall never darken the door of CCM.
No, they were a five piece  rock/country band from Wokingham in Berkshire consisting of lead singer and guitarist Robert Lindsey-Clark, pianist and vocalist Scott James,vocalist and guitarist Paul Williams,bassist James Taylor and drummer Matt Everitt
I went to see them on February 27th 1998 at King Tuts no doubt largely because of the hype:

Country rockers The Montrose Avenue are being hotly tipped for stardom after the release of only their second single Where Do I Stand? 
Music industry experts are already comparing them to bands such as REM and The Byrds. 
At King Tut's on Wednesday night, the five fresh-faced lads proved they've got what it takes to get to the top and that there are no dead-ends on this Montrose Avenue . The Daily Record

Needless to say that didn't happen.They released one album Thirty Days Out and Where Do I Stand was their biggest hit peaking at number 38 in the UK charts.
I've just listened to it for the first time in ages and it's not bad at all.
You are getting tracks 1 and 3 with every likelihood that tracks 2 and 4 will feature at some juncture in the future.

The Montrose Avenue - Where Do I Stand?

The Montrose Avenue - Helplessly Hoping

My worse viewing figures for  a while yesterday. I can only assume that the words Pointer Sisters and Country in the same sentence are an anathema to many

5 comments:

  1. My viewing plummetted on Monday, so I wonder if Carl Butler and Pearl are a bit of a turn off? Can't imagine why, though. Is there a Montrose Avenue in Wokingham?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no Montrose Avenue in Wokingham, but there is one in near-ish Slough

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got some pictures of me flexing my muscles if you're interested in increasing traffic around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kind offer Erik but I fear some of the readers are of a nervous disposition whilst others are over excitable!

      Delete
  4. My viewing stats have been pretty poor for the past week. Yesterday was especially awful, though it turns out I had forgotten to publish the article until 7pm. Personally, I found the Pointer Sisters doing country fascinating!

    ReplyDelete