Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 June 2014

An Empty Bottle, A Broken Heart and You're Still on My Mind


When I finally pop my clogs the three songs I would like played at my funeral are the previously featured Satisfied Mind by the Walkabouts, Green Fields of France by The Men They Couldn't Hang and You're Still on My Mind by The Byrds
It is taken from their 1968 album Sweetheart of The Rodeo.
This was probably one of the least commercially successful albums of their career and few if any of the tracks feature in  most Best of compilations.
However to me, and many others, it is one of the most important and seminal albums of all time.
It is attributed as starting both the Country Rock movement and further down the line the whole alternative country scene.
The catalyst was of course the influence of Gram Parsons who was not credited as a full member due to contractual problems. Indeed on the album he is only credited on guitar with some of his lead vocals having being replaced by Roger McGuinn.
However he is still at the helm on these two quite magnificent songs

The jukebox is playin'
A honky-tonk song

"One more," I keep sayin'
"And then I'll go home"
What good will it do me
I know what I'll find
An empty bottle, a broken heart
And you're still on my mind



The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind

The Byrds - Hickory Wind

5 comments:

  1. Who may like country-rock does not go past to this album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite right there Walter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easily one of the best albums ever made. Every home should have one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are quite right there Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's almost One Of The Ten Best Albums Of All Time!

    ReplyDelete