Search This Blog

Friday 30 May 2014

Mesopotamia


With 6 tracks and weighing in at 26 minutes and 17 seconds the jury is out as to whether 1982's Mesopotamia by The B-52's constitutes an EP or an LP.
At the end of the day I don't suppose it really matters particularly when you pick up a copy in a curiosity shop for the grand total of a pound.
I used to have this on tape and I don't think it is as good as I remember
It is not anywhere near their previous two albums 1979's The B-52's and 1980's Wild Planet.
I'm not really familiar with Whammy from 1983 and Bouncing of the Satellites from 1986.
The general view appears to be that there was a dip in form after their first two and then a bit of a revival with Cosmic Thing in 1989 and Good Stuff in 1992.
Produced by David Byrne apparently  which I was unaware of until now.

The B-52's -Mesopotamia

The B-52's - Throw That Beat in the Garbage Can

2 comments:

  1. Mesopotamia definitely took some listening to for me. Not sure if it was Byrne leading them down his particular garden path or just their decision to change things up a bit, but after a while I found that it is actually more in line with what I like than Cosmic Thing which was just a bit too commercial for me I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard thsi 30 years ago and was unconvinced. A bit like yourself. I like the title track and that twiddly-effect thing.

    ReplyDelete