Search This Blog

Friday 9 May 2014

Listen to Lefty


I find it nigh on impossible to believe that I have reached post number 448 without having included any Lefty Frizzell or William Orville Frizzell to give him his Sunday name.
A shocking omission and one I profoundly apologise for.
However, I'm sure you will agree that it is well worth the wait as he is quite fantastic.
As Merle Haggard put it "The impact Lefty had on country music is not even measurable. ... No one could handle a song like Lefty. He would hold on to each word until he finally decided to drop it and pick up the next one. Most of us learned to sing listening to him"
He is up there with the Hanks, the Johnnies and the George Jones' - a true country legend.
First up is a song he co-wrote with producer Jim Beck in Dallas and which shot him to prominence with his first US Country number 1 in 1950.
Secondly is his version of the country classic The Long Black Veil. Now I have several versions of this but his is the yardstick against which all others should be measured. None come remotely close.
Genius personified.

Lefty Frizzell - If You've Got the Money I've Got the Time

Lefty Frizzell - The Long Black Veil

1 comment:

  1. I think you should stop smoking and save up for the 12cd box cd "Life's like poetry".....oh, that was me.

    ReplyDelete