Search This Blog

Saturday 12 October 2013

A Texan Country Pub Rock Tribute



Walter's recent post on the demise of pub rock on his tremendous blog  A Few Good Times in My life here had me reaching for Happy Doing What We're Doing by Elizabeth McQueen and the Firebrands.
Somewhat bizzarly Elizabeth and the Boys play their pub rock favourites by:

Ducks Deluxe, Elvis Costello, Eggs Over Easy, Dave Edmunds, Brinsley Schwarz, Squeeze, Dr Feelgood, Graham Parker, Eddie and the Hotrods and Nick Lowe.
Not necessarily all pub rock acts but what the hell.

The covers featured here are from Graham Parker and Dr Feelgood.Graham Parker will appear somewhat surprisingly in a series shortly - you have been warned!

Elizabeth makes reference  in the sleeve notes to the the fabulous book by Will Birch - No Sleep Till Canvey Island. I can't find my copy anywhere and I think my brother may well still have it.

Her uncle gave her a Rockpile album - my aunt gave me the Glitter Band! There is no justice in this world.

Elizabeth McQueen & the Firebrands - Local Girls

Elizabeth McQueen & the Firebrands - That's it, I Quit



No comments:

Post a Comment